Friday, March 5, 2010

The Oscars - This Better Be Good...




I have a strange feeling about this year’s Oscars.

Hollywood is changing and I need to accept that. I’ve read the daily press releases about who is presenting or appearing. Taylor Lautner. Kellen Lutz. Kristen Stewart. Basically every person of importance from Twilight/New Moon except Robert Pattinson. Miley Cyrus. Zac Efron. I wouldn’t be surprised if they announced that Justin Bieber and Ke$ha were appearing. Basically, people who have had careers shorter than the amount of time it took to make Avatar. Now I have to say, I’m not too concerned with Zac Efron being included. With Me and Orson Welles, he is at least trying to take on roles that move him past the teen heartthrob image. But this, along with the announcement that the show will feature dancers from So You Think You Can Dance, leaves me with the feeling that it will be less about the honor of the awards and more about the “let’s get ratings and skew younger.” I’m not a fan.


They are also doing some interesting things that I’ll have to see before I pass judgment. They are doing a tribute to John Hughes above and beyond the In Memoriam segment. They are supposedly doing a tribute to horror films. Keanu Reeves is presenting for some reason??? Well, I’m pretty sure I know why he’s presenting. For Best Actor and Best Actress, they are supposed to be bringing out old friends and colleagues of each of the nominees to introduce them. But really? On Sandra’s big night, you’re really going to remind her of Speed and The Lake House? At least it’s not Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous.


They are also cutting the performance of the Best Original Song nominees. I’m actually not too concerned about that one, which I know is bad, but I’m just not too familiar with the songs nominated. I’ve heard them, but I have no real attachment to them.


So, here’s where I stand. I don’t watch the Oscars for the fashion, or to see movie stars. I watch to relive the year in film and to find out who won. I just hope that experience isn’t tainted by style over substance.


1 comment:

  1. Oh man am I glad they're doing away with the song performances. Too bad they're having dancers though. Cut the fluff and let the winners actually have some time to say thank you.

    ReplyDelete