Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Grammy Prediction Results


Photos by Kevin Winters, Getty Images.

Eh.

I got one perfect 5/5 category, but otherwise, 3 out of 5 tended to be the norm for me. On quite a few, one of my alternates also made it in. Here is the category by category breakdown:

Album of the Year – 3/5 (Plus Need You Now as one of my listed alternates)
Recovery – Eminem**
Need You Now – Lady Antebellum
The Fame Monster – Lady Gaga**
Teenage Dream – Katy Perry
The Suburbs – Arcade Fire**

I thought Miranda would be able to do it. But, I'm happy Lady A made it in. Did not see Katy Perry getting nominated in this category at all.

Record of the Year – 3/5 (Plus "Fuck You" as one of my listed alternates)
“Love the Way You Lie” – Eminem & Rihanna**
“Nothin’ on You” – B.o.B & Bruno Mars
“Empire State of Mind” – Jay-Z & Alicia Keys**
“Need You Now” – Lady Antebellum**
“Fuck You” – Cee Lo Green

Part of my gut was telling me Cee-Lo Green would make it in, and part of my gut was telling me that the voters would not go for it. Again, I'm glad I'm wrong in this instance. Why did I have "Nothin' On You" on the Song alternate list but not the Record list? I'm honestly shocked Lady Gaga was left off.

Song of the Year – 2/5 (Plus "Love the Way You Lie" as one of my listed alternates)
“Love the Way You Lie” – Eminem & Rihanna
“Fuck You”- Cee Lo Green
“The House That Built Me” – Miranda Lambert**
“Beg, Steal, or Borrow” – Ray LaMontagne
“Need You Now” – Lady Antebellum**

I knew this category would not be good for me, so I'm glad I got the two country songs right. That's a big deal for two country songs to get nominated here. I have not heard the Ray LaMontagne song, so it wasn't even on my radar.

Best New Artist – 4/5
Justin Bieber**
Drake**
Florence + the Machine**
Mumford & Sons**
Esperanza Spalding

Pretty awesome result, if I do say so myself. Again, I never even really considered Esperanza Spalding. Otherwise, I'm happy. Funny story - Justin Bieber is also nominated for Best Pop Album. Does that mean Grammy voters actually like him as a musical artist? This is upsetting. Another funny story - Ke$ha is nowhere to be found, anywhere. Her producer got nominated, but that's it. Not saying Ke$ha is a great "artist" per se, but in my opinion, Justin Bieber hasn't proven himself to be one either just yet.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance – 3/5 (With Beyonce "Halo (Live)" as one of my listed alternates)
Sara Bareilles – “King of Anything”**
Beyoncé – “Halo (Live)”
Norah Jones – “Chasing Pirates”
Lady Gaga – “Bad Romance”**
Katy Perry – “Teenage Dream”**

I KNEW Beyonce's live performance of "Halo" would get nominated. I should have manned up and moved it out of my alternates. She also got nominated twice as a "featured artist" on The Fame Monster (because of her duet with Lady Gaga on "Telephone.") That's one of the quirkier Grammy rules. If you are on someone's album and that someone wins Album of the Year, you get a Grammy too. Colbie Callat took home an Album of the Year Grammy last year when Taylor Swift won for Fearless because of their duet, "Breathe."

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance – 4/5
Michael Bublé – “Haven’t Met You Yet”**
Michael Jackson – “This Is It”**
Adam Lambert – “Whataya Want From Me”
Bruno Mars – “Just the Way You Are”**
John Mayer – “Half of My Heart”**

Yep. Took Adam Lambert off my alternate list at the minute, and he ended up getting nominated. Otherwise, not much else to say.

Best Pop Vocal Duo or Group – 5/5 – PERFECT!
“Don’t Stop Believin’ ” – Glee Cast**
“Misery” – Maroon 5**
“The Only Exception” – Paramore**
“Babyfather” – Sade**
“Hey, Soul Sister (Live)” – Train**

Glee Cast nomination - called it! You know what that means? Every single cast member of Glee that's in New Directions is now a Grammy nominee. Kinda weird.

Best Pop Vocal Collaboration – 2/5 (With "Airplanes II" as one of my listed alternates)
“Airplanes II” — B.o.B, Eminem & Hayley Williams
“Imagine” — Herbie Hancock, Pink, India.Arie, Seal, Konono No. 1, Jeff Beck & Oumou Sangare
“If It Wasn’t For Bad” — Elton John & Leon Russell
“Telephone” — Lady Gaga & Beyoncé**
“California Gurls” — Katy Perry & Snoop Dogg**

Eh, didn't do so great here.

Best Female Country Vocal Performance – 2/5 (With Leann Rimes, "Swingin'" as one of my listed alternates)
"Satisfied" - Jewel
"The House That Built Me" - Miranda Lambert**
"Swingin'" - LeAnn Rimes
"Temporary Home" - Carrie Underwood**
"I'd Love To Be Your Last" - Gretchen Wilson

For country to be my favorite genre of music, I stink it up in the Country categories year after year. Jewel? NO TAYLOR SWIFT? Are they over her? She submitted Mine. She won this category last year. Again, surprised. Not that I love Taylor Swift, but it doesn't make too much sense for more people to mark Jewel on a country ballot than Taylor Swift. I knew I was making a mistake by leaving Leann Rimes off my final five. They've nominated her every year for the past five years, I think.

Best Male Country Vocal Performance – 1/5
"Macon" - Jamey Johnson
"Cryin' For Me (Wayman's Song)" - Toby Keith
"Turning Home" - David Nail
"Til Summer Comes Around" - Keith Urban**
"Gettin' You Home" - Chris Young

Pathetic. Plain and simple. But, I'm thrilled for Chris Young getting nominated for "Gettin' You Home." That's my favorite country song of the year (even though it was released in 2009), and will appear on my Top Ten Songs of the Year post I plan on doing in a week or so.

Best Country Vocal Duo or Group – 3/5 (With The Steeldrivers as one of my listed alternates)
"Free" - Zac Brown Band**
"Elizabeth" - Daily & Vincent
"Need You Now" - Lady Antebellum**
"Little White Church" - Little Big Town**
"Where Rainbows Never Die" - The SteelDrivers

I'm happy with this. Remember when I said there would be a "who the hell is that" nominee? Well this year, it's Dailey and Vincent. Funny though, I've actually heard of them. I visited the Grand Ole Opry in May, and every commercial break, they advertised the album, Dailey and Vincent Sing the Statler Brothers, available only at The Cracker Barrel. You read that right, Brooks & Dunn and Sugarland were left off for a duo who released their album at The Cracker Barrel.

So, that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment